Our Commitment to the Environment
As one of the leading premium luxury hotels in the world, The Hay-Adams understands, recognizes and embraces our role as a leader in environmental stewardship for the hospitality community. The Hay-Adams is a designated historical building, with staff committed to the building's preservation of structure, protection of artifacts and of other natural objects within and surrounding the hotel. The Hay-Adams fervently believes in protecting our environment through the conservation of materials and energy, and is committed to meaningful and dynamic green initiatives.
Just as The Hay-Adams staff exceeds the expectations of our guests with our attention to detail and our commitment to service, we are applying those same qualities to our efforts to become a truly green hotel in Washington, DC. The Hay-Adams conservation efforts go beyond what is expected and place a premium on conservation. This commitment to practices that lessen our impact on our planet is a heartfelt and impassioned pledge reflective of the substance and style that is The Hay-Adams.
Everything we do serves our guests and our purpose.
As part of our commitment to conservation, The Hay-Adams:
- Utilizes environmentally sound construction methods and materials in renovations and repairs to ensure that The Hay-Adams conserves as much energy as possible, limits its carbon footprint and reduces material turnover.
- Secures at least 25 percent of our electric power needs through renewable resources.
- Eliminates the use of Styrofoam, paper and plastic containers for personal use.
- Purchases food from organic vendors and works with vendors who have a mutual commitment to environmentally-sound business practices.
- Recycles at least 80 percent of white paper used for administrative and sales functions.
- Implements a “No Print” directive and supports it by providing computer access in all areas and utilize electronic communications.
- Utilizes eco-friendly housekeeping cleaning products.
- Does not use any oil based paints.
- Participates in a linen recycling program through our partnership with “Keys for the Homeless,” a charitable organization that services the local community.
- Continues to evaluate new means of decreasing our carbon footprint and increasing our conservation efforts. It is our goal to reduce our carbon footprint by a minimum of 5% each year.
- The Hay Adams has implemented a single stream recycling program. We will automatically recycle your guest room newspapers, print documents, plastic and glass bottles, and aluminum cans.